Robert T. Karns
Robert T. Karns graduated from Suffolk University Law School in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1974 and opened his own practice in 1974. He is a member of the Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and D.C. Bars. He has been admitted to the United States Supreme Court, First Circuit Court of Appeals and the Federal District Courts for Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
Robert has been a member of AAJ (American Association for Justice) since 1974. He is on the Executive Committee of the Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group and served as chairman of the group from 2006 to 2007. He is a member of the Motor Vehicle Collision Highway & Premises Liability Section. He also served on the Executive Committee for the Trucking Litigation Group and continues to be a member. In addition, Robert is a member of the Melvin Belli Society.
Robert is on the Board of Governors of the Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association. For five years Robert served on the Board of Directors of the Brain Injury Association of Rhode Island. He is also a member of the North American Brain Injury Society and Brain Injury Association of America.
Robert practices personal injury law on a contingency fee basis and there is no fee unless successful. He has over 38 years of legal experience and has designated many hours to research, especially in the area of traumatic brain injury. Robert has a very successful record in getting great results for his injured clients in multiple areas of personal injury cases including traumatic brain injury and spinal cord damage resulting from car, truck, motorcycle, and other vehicle accidents.
Robert is a frequent speaker at many state bar associations, national trial associations and state and national brain injury associations, and was recently inducted as a Top 99 Truck Accident Lawyer in the U.S. by the Truck Accident Attorney's Roundtable.
Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1974
Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater, Massachusetts
- B.A. cum laude - 1971
Honors and Awards
- Top 99 Truck Accident Lawyer, US by the Truck Accident Attorney's Roundtable
- Massachusetts, 1974
- Rhode Island, 1988
- District of Columbia, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1975
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1979
- U.S. Tax Court
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Admitted to Practice in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and District of Columbia
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member, 1988 - Present
- Rhode Island Association for Justice, Board of Governors
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member, 1974 - Present
- AAJ - American Association for Justice, Member, 1974 - Present
- AAJ - Executive Committee of the Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group
- AAJ - Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group, Chairman, 2006 - 2007
- AAJ - Trucking Litigation Group , Member (formerly on Executive Committee)
- AAJ - Motor Vehicle Collision Highway & Premises Liability Section, Member
- Melvin Belli Society, Member
- Brain Injury Association of America, Member
- Brain Injury Association of Rhode Island, Member (formerly on Board of Directors)
- North American Brain Injury Society, Member
- National Brain Injury Association, Member
Car Accident Traumatic Brain InjuryI would definitely recommend Karns & Kerrison to anyone who asked - they come through for you.
- Patricia Feeley
Slipped on Greasy FloorI have no reservations whatsoever in recommending Karns & Kerrison.
- Mike Carey
Rear End CollisionNothing but positive results from consultation, to filing the legal suit, handling of a major operation, to recovery and finalizing a generous settlement.
- Larry Goldfarb
Horrible Car AccidentThey not only got me a fair settlement, they helped to get me well.
Motor Vehicle Accident - Braga BridgeIt was comforting to know I had someone watching out for me.
- Jeanie Small
Pedestrian hit by CarI did not know where to turn when I realized I needed legal help but I am very happy that I found Karns & Kerrison.