Car accidents are extremely common, but that does not mean they are straightforward cases. If you have been injured, please speak with one of our experienced lawyers to learn how we can help you recover compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Since 1974, our firm has provided aggressive yet compassionate representation to clients injured in motor vehicle accidents throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
Contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced car accident lawyers in Providence.
What Damages Can I Recover from a Car Accident?
Depending on the severity of your accident, you may be suffering from a range of life-threatening injuries. These injuries don’t just represent higher costs for you in the short term: You may also need compensation to cover long-term assisted care, years of medical treatment, and other costs. In personal injury law, these costs are known as “damages,” and when the other party has been negligent, you can often pursue a lawsuit against them to recover those damages.
Here are the most common damages you can recover after a car accident:
- Medical bills and prescriptions
- Doctor’s visits
- Hospitalization costs
- Long-term care
- Lost wages, current and future
- Loss of consortium
- Non-economic damages, like pain and suffering
- Punitive damages, for extreme cases of negligence
Statute of Limitations for Car Accident Claims in Rhode Island
In any civil case, there is typically a “statute of limitations” that imposes a time limit to submit your claim to the court. In general, Rhode Island residents have 3 years to pursue a personal injury lawsuit after they’ve been hurt in a vehicle crash, whether that involves a car, a truck, or another type of vehicle on the road (Rhode Island General Laws, section 9-1-14.)
In cases where your loved one has died in a car accident, you also have 3 years to pursue a wrongful death case. Claims that only concern property damage, on the other hand, are given a 10 year deadline for submitting.
When Should I Call An Attorney?
It’s highly recommended that you call an attorney as soon as possible, no matter how minor your Providence car crash may seem. Because many injuries take a while to manifest, you may need to recover compensation in the form of a car accident lawsuit – only to find that you are unable to do so without the help of a skilled lawyer. Additionally, you may discover that a lawyer can help you negotiate for a better insurance settlement.
At Karns & Kerrison, we always offer free consultations for our prospective clients. This ensures that you can get all the information that you need about your car accident case, and decide what your next steps will be.
We Have the Experience to Take Any Car Accident Case
A serious car accident can change your life forever, leaving you with a spinal cord injury, burns, disfigurement, limited mobility or personality changes caused by a traumatic brain injury. In addition to physical and emotional trauma, innocent victims must contend with the financial devastation that often follows an accident.
$1.55 MILLION - Rollover Accident
35-year-old woman who suffered traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures as a passenger in a rollover accident in Massachusetts.
$1.26 MILLION - Rear End Accident
Middletown nurse who suffered aggravation of pre-existing Chiari 1 malformation in rear-end collision.
At Karns & Kerrison, we believe that no one should have to suffer due to the negligent or wrongful acts of another. If you have been injured in a car crash caused by another party, we can help you fight for justice and full compensation to take care of your expenses and recover from your injuries.
- Head-on collisions: These types of accidents are especially dangerous and can result in serious or fatal injuries. Brain injuries, facial injuries, neck injuries, lacerations, and scarring are common. If the front of the vehicle is crushed, victims may also suffer broken legs and arms as well as spinal cord injuries. Drunk drivers, fatigued drivers, and poor road conditions are some of the most common causes of head-on collisions.
- Rear-end collisions: A rear-end collision can be just a fender bender or a serious accident causing catastrophic injuries. Whiplash and brain injuries are common because the impact causes the driver's head to whip back and forth. Back and neck injuries may also occur. Distracted drivers, impaired drivers, and bad traffic conditions can lead to rear-end collisions.
- T-bone accidents: These accidents occur when one vehicle hits another in a perpendicular fashion, crashing into the vehicle's side. Injuries may be catastrophic or fatal and include broken bones; crush injuries; back, neck and spinal cord injuries; and traumatic brain injuries. Drivers who ignore traffic signals, drive recklessly or drive too fast in bad weather can cause these collisions.
- Rollover accidents: When a vehicle rolls in an accident, passengers may experience impact from all sides of the vehicle. This dangerous accident can also result in the roof collapsing and crushing passengers. In these cases, severe brain or spinal cord injuries can result in death. Other injuries may include broken bones, crush injuries and internal organ damage.
- Hit-and-run accidents: It may be difficult to know what to do after a hit-and-run accident. If the negligent driver is not apprehended, we can help you seek the damages you need from your insurance company. Talk to our attorneys as soon as possible so we can assess your case.
- Construction zone accidents: Road construction zones can be hazardous for drivers. Narrowed lanes, merging traffic and construction vehicles at work make driving difficult. Construction zones must be clearly marked and carefully managed. Distracted or reckless drivers can easily cause accidents in these situations because traffic is compressed in a small space.
- Intersection accidents: Accidents at intersections are very common, especially when a driver is not paying attention. T-bone collisions between vehicles can occur when a negligent driver ignores stop signs or other traffic signals. In addition, bicyclists and pedestrians can be injured by drivers at intersections.
- Drunk and distracted driving accidents: People who drive under the influence of alcohol or drive while distracted create grave danger for other people on the road. These drivers tend to cause serious or fatal accidents. If you have been injured or lost a family member to a drunk or distracted driver, you may be entitled to compensatory and punitive damages. Please discuss your case with our firm to learn more.
Hear From an Actual Client
"I was in a horrible car accident. My current lawyer was not being very helpful. A friend of mine told me about Karns & Kerrison. They not only got me a fair settlement, they helped to get me well. They recommended the correct doctors for me to see to reach a good recovery from my injuries. I have used the group for another car accident and two workmen's comp. cases as well. Every time I am treated with wonderful care. Karns & Kerrison is without a doubt the best law firm I know of. I would never think of going anywhere else in times of trouble. I think it is because they are a family of lawyers and their common goal is to help people get through difficult periods in their lives." - Nancy
Put 85+ Years of Combined Experience on Your Side
If you have been injured or someone you love has been killed in a fatal car accident, we invite you to call our office at (888) 281-3100 or send us an email to schedule a free consultation. Cases are taken on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no attorney fees unless we win compensation for you.
Call our team to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today!
Car Accident Traumatic Brain InjuryI would definitely recommend Karns & Kerrison to anyone who asked - they come through for you.
- Patricia Feeley
Slipped on Greasy FloorI have no reservations whatsoever in recommending Karns & Kerrison.
- Mike Carey
Rear End CollisionNothing but positive results from consultation, to filing the legal suit, handling of a major operation, to recovery and finalizing a generous settlement.
- Larry Goldfarb
Horrible Car AccidentThey not only got me a fair settlement, they helped to get me well.
Motor Vehicle Accident - Braga BridgeIt was comforting to know I had someone watching out for me.
- Jeanie Small
Pedestrian hit by CarI did not know where to turn when I realized I needed legal help but I am very happy that I found Karns & Kerrison.