Our Top-Tier Legal Team Helps Accident Victims on Aquidneck Island
Car accidents happen every day, but every incident is different. If the actions of another driver have harmed you, contact our experienced car accident lawyers today.
The sooner we get involved, the sooner our car accident lawyers can help you obtain compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Our car accident lawyers serving Middletown have protected our clients in car accident cases since 1974. As a result, we understand how to provide both aggressive representation and compassionate legal support.
On This Page:
- What Can I Recover from a Car Accident?
- Why You Should File Sooner Rather Than Later
- Should I Call An Attorney?
- Cases We Handle
- The Value of Experienced Attorneys
- Car Accident FAQ
If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident in Middletown, RI, our car accident lawyers can help. Call 401-841-5300 to get the help you need!
What Can I Recover from a Car Accident?
If you've been hurt in a car accident, you may be overwhelmed by the severity of your injuries. In addition to hospital bills, you might have to prepare for a lifetime of changes.
Any financial consequence you suffer from a car accident can be covered by "damages." If someone else's negligence caused your car accident, you could pursue a lawsuit against them to recover costs from:
- Medical bills (including hospitalization and surgery)
- Doctor's visits
- Rehabilitative care
- Long-term care
- Lost or diminished wages
- Wrongful death (funerary costs, loss of consortium)
In addition to these economic damages, you may be able to pursue non-economic damages to account for your pain and suffering or punitive damages to punish the wrongdoer for their extreme negligence.
Why You Should File Sooner Rather Than Later
In Rhode Island, car accident claims are regulated by a stringent "statute of limitations." This means that you only have three years from the date of your accident to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. So even if you lost a loved one, the limit to file a claim would not surpass three years. Some states have exceptions for extenuating circumstances, but Rhode Island General Laws, section 9-1-14, provides a stringent statute for personal injuries.
While filing a lawsuit may be the last thing you want to do after a devastating loss, starting the process ASAP can help you stay within the statute of limitations and gain whatever compensation you may be entitled to.
Should I Call A Personal Injury Attorney?
You should contact a car accident lawyer even if your car crash seems minor. Some injuries take time to develop, and having a well-documented case can help your claim from the moment your ailments arise.
A Middletown car accident lawyer can also ensure a fair settlement if you deal with insurance companies. While insurance agents may try to take advantage of innocent victims, they do not want to risk going to court and offer more prominent awards when dealing with an attorney.
Sometimes, you may be unsure whether or not you have a car accident case. At Karns & Kerrison, we offer free consultations, so we can get to know you and your story before providing our assistance.
Cases Our Lawyers Handle
As we said before, every car accident claim is different. Our law firm handles car accidents of all shapes and sizes, including:
- Head-on collisions: These accidents can be terrifying and result in serious or catastrophic injuries. We will find out what caused the crash and who to hold liable.
- T-bone accidents: A T-bone accident often affects the driver's side of the vehicle and can cause broken bones, back injuries, and trauma to the head and neck. These accidents happen most often when drivers are speeding or ignoring traffic signals.
- Intersection accidents: The road rules will help us clarify faults in an intersection accident.
- Rollover accidents: If your car rolls, the impact on passengers can be overwhelming. Internal injuries may reveal themselves after the accident.
- Rear-end crashes: These car accidents may initially seem harmless but can cause whiplash or brain injuries later.
- Hit-and-run accidents: If someone hits you and leaves the scene, you may feel like you have no options. Our attorneys can help make sure your insurance company honors your coverage.
- Construction zone crashes: When traffic is compacted due to road construction, dangerous situations can arise. Our investigation may reveal crucial information about your case.
- Drunk and distracted driver crashes: These accidents can almost always be attributed to the driver who was intoxicated or inattentive at the time of the collision. Again, our attorneys can help prove liability.
The Value of Experienced Car Accident Lawyers Serving Middletown
At Karns & Kerrison, our car accident lawyers have over 85 years of collective personal injury experience. We put it to use on our client's behalf to ensure no one has to face the consequences of someone else's negligence alone.
Although we cannot prevent suffering, we can alleviate it by providing our clients with the financial resources they need to recover.
Call 401-841-5300 today for a lawyer who is truly on your side. We do not charge any fees unless we win your case.
Car Accident FAQ:
Do you have to accept the first offer from the insurance company?
No. You should never accept the first offer given by the insurance company, even if it sounds pretty good to you. The truth is that until you have been evaluated by a medical professional and determined what type of medical care you need, it's difficult to know whether or not a settlement offer will cover all of your costs. If you have received a request from the insurance company, you should always discuss the proposal with your attorney before deciding.
How do you know who was at fault for the car accident?
In accidents where the fault is not readily apparent, it may take additional digging to uncover who was at fault. This is where our car accident lawyers can help! We have the resources to help determine who was at fault for your car accident, whether through accident reconstruction, reviewing security camera footage, or interviewing witnesses.
Why should you call the police after a car accident?
Calling 911 after an accident ensures that you receive medical care from whoever can arrive on the scene the most quickly and that the car accident will be documented. When the police arrive at the location, they should take an accident report from all parties involved and then file the report. Your attorney can request access to the information and use this as evidence in your claim with the insurance company.