Karns & Kerrison Blog

When Should You Call a Lawyer After a Car Accident?

Posted by Robert T. Karns | Sep 22, 2020 | 0 Comments

Car accidents can be extremely stressful. On top of try to not admitting fault, swapping proof of insurance, taking pictures of the vehicle, and contemplating whether or not you should report the accident to the police, car accidents are likely to shake you up. In the worst cases, they can not only cause great damage to your car but result in traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, and disfigurement.

Unfortunately, for all types of car accidents, you may be faced with a party that attempts to blame you for the accident when it was clearly not your fault. If their false claims win, you could face big financial losses in the form of reduced insurance payouts, future high insurance premiums, as well as any costs arising from the accident itself, such as car repairs and medical bills.

Should I Bother with an Attorney?

Since insurance companies have knowledgeable attorneys who minimize fault on a daily basis, it is wise to consult an attorney of your own as soon as possible. They can help you fight for fair compensation and assist you in taking the matter to court, if needed. As long as you are within the timeframe of your state's statute of limitations and have not gotten too far with the other driver in wrongfully admitting fault, a lawyer might be able to help.

Lawyers may be able to represent you in cases such as the following:

  • The at-fault party wrongfully blames you for property damage: This includes when the car accident causes major damage to either one or all of the cars involved. The party may try to pressure you into admitting fault at the scene of the accident by being overbearingly intimidating or overly nice.
  • You were injured in a car accident: If you were injured by another party in a car accident, even if they admit fault, the insurance company could still attempt to grant a low-ball payout if you don't fight for a higher one. Luckily, a lawyer can help you recover damages for medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages or any other harm the crash caused you.
  • A loved one was killed in a car crash: No one should have to suffer this loss, but, sadly, it does happen. You should be compensated for such a terrible, untimely tragedy. An insurance company should not take advantage of your grief to keep money in their already padded pockets. Fortunately, an attorney can help you with the legal proceedings of a wrongful death while you take time to properly grieve your loved one.

Rhode Island Statute of Limitations for Car Accidents

The state of Rhode Island allows victims of injury or death cases 3 years from the date of the accident to file a case. For claims concerning only property damage, the state allows 10 years from the date of the accident.

It may seem as though you have a lot of time on your hands to deal with your case, but insurance companies are likely to wrap up the claim quickly and in their favor. Thus, it is best to reach out to an attorney sooner rather than later.

Establishing a Case

An experienced lawyer will work with you to help sort out your case and hold the at-fault party accountable. Karns & Kerrison has represented victims in Rhode Island since 1974, successfully recovering $250 million in compensation. The American Association for Justice, the Rhode Island Association for Justice, Super Lawyers®, and the Melvin M. Belli Society are just a few of the prestigious organizations to recognize our legal team. We accept cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you will not be charged unless we win your case.

To speak to Karns & Kerrison, call (888) 281-3100 or visit our firm online.

About the Author

Robert T. Karns

Founding Attorney


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Karns & Kerrison is committed to answering your questions about Personal Injury law issues in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.