Karns & Kerrison Blog

Will my insurance cover pain and suffering?

Posted by Robert T. Karns | May 12, 2017 | 0 Comments

If you have been involved in an automobile accident in Rhode Island, you likely have many questions. Concerns about what your insurance will and will not cover might be at the top of your list. The number one question for many people who were injured in an accident is whether or not their insurance company will cover the damages incurred for pain and suffering.

According to, your auto insurance company should offer coverage for certain aspects of pain and suffering, such as wages lost due to injury and medical bills for care. Before offering you any money, the insurance adjuster will take many aspects of your claim into consideration, including the severity of your injuries, how quickly the claim was reported and when you sought treatment. Your adjuster may also consider whether or not you have a history of making complaints that are similar.

In addition to the injury done to your body, the adjuster will also consider the severity of the damage to your vehicle. If you only have minor damage done to your vehicle, the adjuster is unlikely to be willing to offer you a large settlement.

In many cases, a formula will be used to determine the amount that will be offered based on all the factors listed above. There will also be a maximum amount that can be paid to one claimant and an amount that can be offered for each claim, no matter how many people were involved. This information is provided for your education and should not be taken as legal or medical advice.

About the Author

Robert T. Karns

Founding Attorney


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Karns & Kerrison is committed to answering your questions about Personal Injury law issues in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.