Karns & Kerrison Blog

Traumatic Brain Injury - Specialists to Help the Victim

Posted by Robert T. Karns | Jun 19, 2015 | 0 Comments

After suffering a traumatic brain injury there are many specialists that can help the victim once it is determined the extent of the injury and the progression of the recovery.


Initially it is important for the victim of the traumatic brain injury to get initial medical care. Following the emergency care following the injury that causes the traumatic brain injury a list of specialists that can be used depending on what the medical problems are is as follows:

  • General Practitioner - The primary care physician of the victim is important as that doctor can interpret the initial emergency treatment and be the bridge between the brain injury victim and the appropriate specialist that he can refer the victim to.
  • Neurologist - This is a physician that specializes in nervous disorders and brain injury helping to definitively diagnose the traumatic brain injury.
  • Neurosurgeon - This is a physician who also specializes in disorders of the nervous system and brain injury that can treat the injury surgically if necessary.
  • Neuropsychologist - This is a doctor that can assess the cognitive impairments caused by the traumatic brain injury by utilizing a series of tests and incorporating therapy.
  • Physiatrist - This physician assesses the victim's physical condition and prescribes any necessary physical rehabilitation and therapy.
  • Psychologist - This is a specialist of human behavior and can assess and treat problems including anxiety and depression caused by the traumatic brain injury.
  • Psychiatrist - This is a medical doctor that can assess the same conditions as the psychologist and can prescribe medication.
  • Speech Therapist - This is a therapist that treats the traumatic brain injury victim with therapy to help with cognition including language (speech, reading and writing) and to help with memory problems.
  • Occupational Therapist - This is a therapist that helps the traumatic brain injury victim with everyday activities including physical, intellectual, emotional and vocational.
  • Physical Therapist - This is a therapist that works with the physical condition and pain of the traumatic brain injury victim by utilizing physical therapy.


Many of the above listed medical doctors can prescribe medication depending on the needs of the traumatic brain injury victim, some of the medications are as follows:

  • Anti-convulsant medications such as Neurontin helps suppress seizures.
  • Anti-depressant medications such as Citalopram help with anxiety and depression.
  • Pain management medications such as Ibuprofen and Naproxen help with headaches and joint pain.
  • Motor system medications such as Tizanidine help with muscle spasms and muscle spasticity.
  • Memory and cognitive medications such as Ritalin, Adderall and Provigil help treat deficits and improve memory and awareness.

About the Author

Robert T. Karns

Founding Attorney


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Karns & Kerrison is committed to answering your questions about Personal Injury law issues in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.