Slip & Fall Accident Attorneys in Rhode Island
What to Do If You Are Injured on Another Person’s Property in Providence or Middletown
Property owners are required by law to maintain their premises in a condition that is safe for passersby and visitors. If they fail to live up to this responsibility and a serious slip-and-fall accident occurs, they can be held liable. Victims of slip and fall injuries in Rhode Island and Massachusetts turn to Karns & Kerrison to help them protect their rights and obtain fair compensation for their injuries.
Since 1974, our experienced and compassionate attorneys have successfully handled personal injury claims of all types, including those resulting from slip and falls. If you or someone you love sustained a head injury, spinal cord injury, bone fracture, or other bodily harm after slipping and falling on someone else's property, contact our firm as soon as possible. We can help you preserve important evidence and lay the foundation for a successful case.
Read more about slip and fall claims here, or contact us at (888) 281-3100 for a free consultation with one of our slip-and-fall accident attorneys in Rhode Island.
Common Causes of Slip & Fall Accidents
Slip and fall cases can be complex. Multiple dangerous property conditions may have contributed to your accident. As a result, multiple people and/or entities may be liable for your injuries. Because of the complex layers of responsibility, it is crucial to have an experienced Rhode Island slip and fall accident lawyer on your side. Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, including supermarkets, parking lots, gas stations, sidewalks, hotels, restaurants, apartment complexes, and private homes.
These accidents are commonly caused by:
- Slipping on ice and snow on sidewalks, driveways or walkways
- Falling into an open hole
- Slipping and falling down a flight of stairs
- Falling on dangerous patches of pavement or ground
- Slipping on liquids or food on the floor
- Building code violations
- Defective stairway or floor design
- Lack of a proper stairway handrail
Who is Liable for a Slip & Fall Accident?
The key to any personal injury claim is establishing who is liable for your injuries, either through negligence or failure to uphold the duty of care owed to you or your loved one.
In a slip and fall case, the liable party is typically one of the following:
- Property owner - A property owner has a legal obligation to maintain safe premises for tenants and visitors; even trespassers have some basic safety rights. In most slip and fall cases, the property owner is liable for any injuries sustained on their premises.
- Commercial lessees - Business owners who lease premises have a similar duty to keep visitors safe as the actual property owner and may be liable in many situations. Office buildings and retail spaces are common locations for slip and falls.
- Municipalities - Government-owned properties fall into their own special category where slip and fall cases are concerned. It's not impossible to file a lawsuit against a municipality, but it is difficult, so you will need to consult an attorney who is experienced with federal tort law.
We Work to Uncover the Truth
With more than 85 years of collective experience, the attorneys at Karns & Kerrison can help you obtain the justice and compensation you need to move forward with your life. We will thoroughly investigate the cause of your accident, interview witnesses, gather evidence and photographs of the scene, and document your injuries and losses.
Our firm has a long history of achieving sizeable verdicts and settlements on behalf of injured clients. We represent clients on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no attorney fees unless we win compensation for you. Attorney referrals are welcome.
Call us at (888) 281-3100 or contact us online today to schedule a free consultation.
Car Accident Traumatic Brain InjuryI would definitely recommend Karns & Kerrison to anyone who asked - they come through for you.
- Patricia Feeley
Slipped on Greasy FloorI have no reservations whatsoever in recommending Karns & Kerrison.
- Mike Carey
Rear End CollisionNothing but positive results from consultation, to filing the legal suit, handling of a major operation, to recovery and finalizing a generous settlement.
- Larry Goldfarb
Horrible Car AccidentThey not only got me a fair settlement, they helped to get me well.
Motor Vehicle Accident - Braga BridgeIt was comforting to know I had someone watching out for me.
- Jeanie Small
Pedestrian hit by CarI did not know where to turn when I realized I needed legal help but I am very happy that I found Karns & Kerrison.