Spinal cord injuries leave thousands of people across the country with paralysis each year. Tragically, not all of them know that they could have the right to seek compensation from the party that caused the catastrophic injury. Money can’t undo what happened, but financial stability can make the years to come more comfortable.
If you were hurt in Providence, Rhode Island, and left with a spinal cord injury or paralysis, get Karns & Kerrison on the phone right away. Dial (888) 281-3100 to talk with our spinal cord injury lawyers about what happened. Using our 85+ years of combined legal experience, we can fight diligently for the full compensation and justice that you deserve.
Want a free, confidential consultation? Contact us onlinenow.
Forms of Paralysis
The spinal cord is a bundle of nerves that is essential to the control and regulation of nearly all body arts and bodily functions. Only a slight amount of damage to it can cause permanent complications like paralysis, especially since nerves do not naturally heal on their own in most cases.
If paralysis occurs, it can take these forms:
- Partial: Partial paralysis involves partial loss of control of a body part or function or a weakening of the function.
- Total: Total paralysis involves complete loss of control of a body part or function.
- Temporary: Temporary paralysis is considered treatable with specialized therapy or perhaps surgery, which means the paralysis symptoms could be alleviated eventually.
- Permanent: Permanent paralysis is considered untreatable and will create a permanent disability and complications for the paralyzed person.
Total permanent paralysis (TPP) is considered the worst form of paralysis. A common form of TPP is paraplegia or paralysis in both legs, often caused by damage to the lower spine. A rarer form of TPP is quadriplegia or paralysis of all four limbs, which can be caused by damage to the upper or cervical spine.
Common Causes of Spinal Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are often caused by violent accidents that result in blunt force or penetrating trauma to the spine. If you were in a violent accident and now have back aches or soreness, please see a medical professional as soon as possible. Soreness can be the first symptom of a spinal cord injury and possibly partial paralysis.
Common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
Damages You Can Recover
Living with a spinal cord injury can present many new challenges. Your day-to-day life could look completely different due to the injury. The compensation that you demand must reflect all the ways that your life has changed because of your spinal cord injury, as well as the costs associated with treating or mitigating it.
Damages that could be recoverable through a spinal cord injury claim include:
- Economic: Economic damage relates to tangible losses that can be tracked on paper or spreadsheets, such as past and future medical treatment costs, specialized therapeutic care, lost wages, architectural updates to your home to accommodate a disability, and so on.
- Non-economic: Non-economic damage relates to intangible or abstract losses caused by an injury, such as pain, suffering, traumatization, lowered enjoyment of life, and shortened life expectancy.
- Punitive: Punitive damage is a unique form of damage that is approved by a court to further punish the defendant for egregious negligence or criminal wrongdoing. Courts rarely allow punitive damages, though, so it is difficult to know if it can be factored into your potential recovery amount.
Choose Providence’s Trusted Team of Attorneys
For a case as serious as a spinal cord injury claim, make sure that the legal team you choose is up for the challenge. Karns & Kerrison in Providence was established in 1974. Our team of attorneys has more than 85 years of collective legal experience. In other words, we have the backgrounds, talents, and resources needed to handle high-stakes spinal cord injury claims filed against powerful defendants. Rely on us and let us give everything that we have to fight for you!
Car Accident Traumatic Brain InjuryI would definitely recommend Karns & Kerrison to anyone who asked - they come through for you.
- Patricia Feeley
Slipped on Greasy FloorI have no reservations whatsoever in recommending Karns & Kerrison.
- Mike Carey
Rear End CollisionNothing but positive results from consultation, to filing the legal suit, handling of a major operation, to recovery and finalizing a generous settlement.
- Larry Goldfarb
Horrible Car AccidentThey not only got me a fair settlement, they helped to get me well.
Motor Vehicle Accident - Braga BridgeIt was comforting to know I had someone watching out for me.
- Jeanie Small
Pedestrian hit by CarI did not know where to turn when I realized I needed legal help but I am very happy that I found Karns & Kerrison.