Commercial trucking is a lucrative business in Rhode Island and across the country. We depend on large trucks to ship food, raw materials, and consumer products to grocery stores, factories, and warehouses nationwide. The faster a shipment travels from its origin to its destination, the bigger the payday is for shipping companies. While pursuing profits, companies ignore safety regulations and push their loads and drivers to their breaking points.
As a result, there are about 450,000 large truck accidents per year. Due to the size and weight of tractor-trailers and light trucks, at least 23% of these accidents cause injuries and almost 5,000 of them are fatal.
If you or someone you love was injured or killed in a truck accident, another party’s negligence is likely to blame. To properly pursue justice, you need a Middletown truck accident attorney who understands the law and can use it to hold the responsible parties liable for their wrongdoings.
We Handle All Kinds of Commercial Trucking Accidents
Some firms only handle semi-truck accidents, but at Karns & Kerrison, we cover all of the following:
- Big rig or semi crashes
- Utility truck accidents
- Collisions with delivery trucks
- Garbage truck accidents
- Crashes involving FedEx trucks
- Any collisions with a commercial or company vehicle
What We Do for You
From the second you come in for a free consultation, our entire firm will be on your side. We will:
- Investigate your accident
- Determine the cause of your crash
- Evaluate your injuries
- Identify liability
- Explore all potential sources of compensation
- File claims or lawsuits on your behalf
We have been fighting for victims of truck accidents since 1974. Our experience helps us uncover misconduct by trucking companies, document your case, and persuade factfinders to take your side.
We want to help you gain all the resources you will need moving forward. Call our Middletown truck accident lawyers!
What Causes Truck Accidents?
Like any other vehicle, large trucks can be affected by adverse weather or hazardous road conditions. Most accidents; however, can be tied back to the negligent behavior of truck drivers and shipping companies.
When this is the case, victims are entitled to compensation. If your accident or loss was caused by any of the negligent actions below, you may be able to file a claim:
- Inappropriate hiring and training: Even in cases of driver error, a trucking company may be to blame. Many companies allow inexperienced drivers behind the wheel or hire drivers with a history of traffic and safety violations. These cost-cutting behaviors are considered negligent and can result in the company being held liable for your accident.
- Inadequate truck maintenance: Vehicles used for commercial shipping are regulated at the state and federal level to ensure safe operating conditions. When companies forgo mandatory maintenance and safety inspections, their fleet can go out with faulty brakes, substandard tires, and a litany of other mechanical problems. These dangers are preventable and can establish the company’s negligence.
- Trucking regulation violations: The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) oversees interstate and intrastate shipping. Truck requirements and rules for drivers are covered by the FMCSA and are often violated by greedy shipping companies. If a trucking company has violated FMCSA standards, they have also violated their duty of care to you.
- Overloaded or improperly loaded trucks: If a truck’s load weighs too much or isn’t properly secured, it can cause jackknifes, rollovers, and other deadly accidents. In these situations, shipping companies can be held responsible for your accident.
- Aggressive driving: If drivers speed, tailgate, cut-off other motorists, weave in and out of traffic, or “guard” their lane; their behaviors are considered to be aggressive and are more likely to cause collisions. An aggressive driver will almost always be held liable for your accident.
- Distracted driving: With cellphones and GPS devices, distracted driving is on the rise. If a driver fails to pay attention, they can easily cause an accident and be held accountable.
- Drowsy driving: The biggest distraction for truck drivers is often sleepiness. Drivers must meet ridiculous deadlines and quotas and often operate trucks while they are drowsy or sleep-deprived. If a driver is not paying attention or falls asleep at the wheel, their massive vehicle can become a death machine, and both the driver, and the shipping company can face liability.
- Driving under the influence: Truck-drivers live their lives on the road and can be influenced by alcohol, prescription drugs, illegal substances, and even over-the-counter stimulants. When they allow drugs or alcohol to affect their driving, they can cause tragic accidents and be responsible for the damages.
When our team represents you, we will initiate an investigation and devote our time, skills, and resources to finding out what caused your accident.
In many cases we are able to hold the following parties liable:
- Truck drivers
- Shipping companies
- Third-party operators
- Loading dock crew
- Truck maintenance
At Karns & Kerrison, we are professionals. In addition to finding liability, we examine the liability insurance covering the truck and trailer and use it to maximize your award.
Call us at (888) 281-3100 today to get started.
Car Accident Traumatic Brain InjuryI would definitely recommend Karns & Kerrison to anyone who asked - they come through for you.
- Patricia Feeley
Slipped on Greasy FloorI have no reservations whatsoever in recommending Karns & Kerrison.
- Mike Carey
Rear End CollisionNothing but positive results from consultation, to filing the legal suit, handling of a major operation, to recovery and finalizing a generous settlement.
- Larry Goldfarb
Horrible Car AccidentThey not only got me a fair settlement, they helped to get me well.
Motor Vehicle Accident - Braga BridgeIt was comforting to know I had someone watching out for me.
- Jeanie Small
Pedestrian hit by CarI did not know where to turn when I realized I needed legal help but I am very happy that I found Karns & Kerrison.