Middletown Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
Life-Changing Injuries Call for Hard-Hitting Legal Counsel
Suffering a spinal cord injury is life-changing, not just for the individual, but also for their family and loved ones. These types of injuries can result in long-term disability, chronic pain, significant medical expenses, and other hardships. If you or someone you know has suffered a spinal cord injury in Middletown due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another party, it's important to seek legal representation from an experienced attorney who can help you navigate the complex legal system and fight for your rights.
At Karns & Kerrison, we have years of collective experience representing victims of spinal cord injuries and helping them recover the compensation they deserve. No matter what party caused you to suffer such a severe injury, we will be ready to enter settlement negotiations with them—or enter the courtroom in opposition to them.
Dial (888) 281-3100 to learn more about our Middletown spinal cord injury lawyers.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can occur in a variety of ways and often result from accidents that seem commonplace.
Some of the most frequent causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car crashes, motorcycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents can all lead to spinal cord damage.
- Falls: Slips, trips, and falls are common causes of spinal cord injuries, especially among older adults.
- Sports-related injuries: Contact sports like football or diving can result in spinal cord damage if an athlete sustains a blow to the spine.
- Medical malpractice: Negligence during medical procedures such as surgery or anesthesia can lead to spinal cord injuries.
- Workplace accidents: Jobs that involve heavy machinery, construction work, or working at heights can put individuals at risk for spinal cord injuries.
It's important to remember that even seemingly minor accidents can cause serious harm to the spine, so it's crucial to take precautions and seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms after an accident. Symptoms can include back pain, difficulty standing or sitting without pain, and swelling anywhere along your back.
Different Types of Paralysis
When a spinal cord injury occurs, it can lead to various forms of paralysis, including:
- Partial paralysis: This type of paralysis is characterized by a partial loss of movement or sensation in the affected area. For example, if the injury occurs in the lower back, the individual may experience partial paralysis in their legs.
- Total paralysis: In some cases, a spinal cord injury can result in total paralysis, which means complete loss of movement and sensation below the level of injury. It can be extremely dangerous if total paralysis affects certain internal organs.
- Permanent paralysis: When nerve cells in the spinal cord are damaged beyond repair, permanent paralysis may occur. This type of paralysis is irreversible and will have long-term effects on an individual's quality of life.
- Temporary paralysis: In some cases, temporary paralysis may occur immediately after a spinal cord injury due to swelling or inflammation around the injured area. However, with proper treatment and rehabilitation, temporary paralysis may improve over time, sometimes relatively quickly.
Two specific types of total paralysis that can occur with a spinal cord injury are paraplegia and quadriplegia. Paraplegia refers to total paralysis from the waist down while quadriplegia refers to total paralysis from the neck down.
Long-Term Consequences of Spinal Cord Injuries
Depending on the severity and location of a spinal cord injury, some individuals may experience permanent paralysis, loss of sensation, or other physical impairments. These disabilities can make it difficult to perform daily activities, work, and participate in recreational activities. Additionally, spinal cord injuries can lead to chronic pain, respiratory problems, bladder and bowel dysfunction, and other medical complications that may require ongoing treatment and care. The emotional toll of a spinal cord injury can also be significant as individuals may experience depression, anxiety, and social isolation due to their disability.
Damages in Spinal Cord Injury Claims
If you have suffered a spinal cord injury in Middletown due to someone else's negligence or wrongdoing, you may be able to file a personal injury claim to recover damages.
The damages that you can demand through a spinal cord injury claim could include:
- Medical expenses: This includes all medical costs associated with treating your spinal cord injury, including hospital stays, surgeries, rehabilitation, and ongoing care.
- Lost income: If your spinal cord injury has caused you to miss work or has resulted in a reduction of your earning capacity, you may be able to recover lost income through a personal injury claim.
- Pain and suffering: Spinal cord injuries can cause significant physical pain and emotional distress. You may be able to recover compensation for the pain and suffering caused by your injuries.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: A spinal cord injury can significantly impact your ability to enjoy life's activities as you once did. You may be able to recover compensation for this loss.
- Property damage: If any property was damaged in the accident that caused your spinal cord injury, such as a vehicle or other personal belongings, you may be able to recover compensation for those damages as well.
Schedule a Free Consultation – Call Now
Please dial (888) 281-3100 to speak with a Middletown spinal cord injury attorney from Karns & Kerrison. We are standing by to talk to you for free during an initial consultation. You could be owed significant compensation to help you recover and try to live comfortably again, and we know how to fight for it.
Car Accident Traumatic Brain InjuryI would definitely recommend Karns & Kerrison to anyone who asked - they come through for you.
- Patricia Feeley
Slipped on Greasy FloorI have no reservations whatsoever in recommending Karns & Kerrison.
- Mike Carey
Rear End CollisionNothing but positive results from consultation, to filing the legal suit, handling of a major operation, to recovery and finalizing a generous settlement.
- Larry Goldfarb
Horrible Car AccidentThey not only got me a fair settlement, they helped to get me well.
Motor Vehicle Accident - Braga BridgeIt was comforting to know I had someone watching out for me.
- Jeanie Small
Pedestrian hit by CarI did not know where to turn when I realized I needed legal help but I am very happy that I found Karns & Kerrison.