Open Accessibility Menu

I Was Injured in a Car Accident by an Uninsured Driver—Now What?

Karns & Kerrison
I Was Injured in a Car Accident by an Uninsured Driver—Now What?

When a negligent driver causes someone injury in a car accident, that driver’s insurance company is held liable for the victim’s medical bills, vehicular damage, and any other accident-related losses. But if the negligent driver was uninsured at the time of the accident, the victim may feel hung out to dry as they struggle to cover the bills that should have been handled by insurance. Fortunately, there is a solution to this problem: uninsured motorist coverage.

As its name implies, uninsured motorist coverage protects you should you be injured in a car accident with an uninsured driver. Instead of collecting compensation from the other driver’s insurance company, since they do not have one, you will collect compensation through the uninsured motorist coverage you have purchased from your own insurance company.

This coverage is not required in Rhode Island, unless you purchased more bodily injury coverage than the minimum (more than $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident). Still, the extra cost of uninsured motorist coverage can greatly pay off in the event of a crash with an uninsured driver.

Filing a Claim Through Your Uninsured Motorist Coverage

The process for filing an uninsured motorist insurance claim is similar to that of any other car accident insurance claim: You will need to notify your insurance as soon after the accident as possible and make sure to provide as much evidence as you can. For instance, take pictures of the scene of the crash, swap contact information with the uninsured driver, and ask any witnesses if they would be willing to share their accounts of what happened.

And like any other insurance claim, your insurance company will typically try to get away with paying you as little as it can. If there is any insurance claim for which to hire an attorney, an uninsured motorist claim is the one. A good attorney will work tirelessly to protect you from being taken advantage of by your insurance company.

Trusted Rhode Island Injury Lawyers

At Karns & Kerrison, we have over 85 years of collective legal experience, which includes extensive experience with uninsured motorist claims. When an uninsured driver injures you, we are here to ensure that you are given the best possible chance at recovering compensation for your injuries and damages.

Schedule a free consultation today—call our Rhode Island firm at (888) 281-3100 or contact us online.

Additional Reading


Schedule A Free Consultation

If you or your loved one suffered severe, life-altering injuries due to someone else’s negligence, we are here to help you fight for justice. For answers to your questions or to schedule a free consultation, contact our personal injury team at (888) 281-3100. We offer our legal services on a contingency fee basis, meaning you only pay attorneys’ fees after we have recovered compensation on your behalf.

  • Please enter your First Name.
  • Please enter your Last Name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.