Open Accessibility Menu
COVID-19 UPDATE: We are open! Our team is working and offering consultations via phone, e-mail, and video conferencing.

Workers' Compensation - What am I entitled to?

Karns & Kerrison

When you have a work-related injury, you are entitled to Workers' Compensation Benefits, but what are they?

The most important thing you are entitled to is medical benefits. The Workers' Compensation Insurance Company will have to pay for all medical treatment that is related to your injury so that you can get back on your feet and recover from your injury. You will not be responsible to pay for any medical treatment at all and you should not be charged a co-pay. This is true for all Doctor's visits, physical therapy, diagnostic testing such as X-Rays and MRIs and Emergency Room visits. Medical treatment can be very expensive so you must be sure that every provider you are seeing for your work injury is billing the workers' compensation insurer. Even if you are continuing to work or return to work, the insurer is still responsible for your medical bills.

If you are disabled from your job as a result of your injury, you are also entitled to a weekly check to replace your lost wages. However this check will not replace 100% of your wages. You are entitled to receive this check for up to 312 weeks if you are partially disabled.

Another benefit that you may be entitled to under the law that the insurance company may not tell you about is termed "Specific Compensation." This refers to money for scarring and loss of use. If you sustained a scar in a work-related incident or you have a scar from a surgery done to correct a work injury you may be entitled to money for that scar. If you have been left with a disfigurement, meaning something on your body does not look the same as before your injury, such as a bump or one calf is now smaller than the other, you are entitled to money for that disfigurement. The amount of the compensation you are entitled to for scarring and disfigurement is totally subjective and you should have the scar or disfigurement viewed by an experienced attorney who knows how to value it correctly.

If you have suffered an injury to your extremities (arms, hands, legs or feet) and your Doctor has assigned you a permanent impairment rating based on your injury, you are entitled to money for that.

If you suffer from a permanent partial disability you may also be entitled to vocational rehabilitation. This means that the insurer will have to pay for a program that simply helps you with a job search or provides you with schooling and retraining if you cannot return to your previous occupation.

To see if you are receiving everything you are entitled to, call the Workers' Compensation Attorneys at the Karns & Kerrison at (888) 281-3100 today.


Schedule A Free Consultation

If you or your loved one suffered severe, life-altering injuries due to someone else’s negligence, we are here to help you fight for justice. For answers to your questions or to schedule a free consultation, contact our personal injury team at (888) 281-3100. We offer our legal services on a contingency fee basis, meaning you only pay attorneys’ fees after we have recovered compensation on your behalf.

  • Please enter your First Name.
  • Please enter your Last Name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.